Aberdeen has recently published results of their survey on Cloud BI. You can access the report here (Cloud BI: Employ Managed Reporting)
Here are some important and interesting findings out of this report:
Usage of Conventional and SAAS BI
Compared to 2010, percentage of companies using only SAAS BI has increased from 13% to 20% in 2012.
Of the 20%, 17% use both conventional BI and SAAS model. And the remaining 3% use only SAAS with no conventional In-Premise BI at all.
Interestingly, percentage of those using only SAAS declined from 7% in 2011 to 3% in 2012.
Pervasive and Interactive usage of BI
This part of study throws two interesting findings.
- In companies using SAAS BI, 51% of the employees have access to BI, compares to only 31% in companies using conventional BI.
- Compared to conventional BI users, significantly higher number of SAAS BI users employ Managed Reporting, Interactive Dashboards or Visual Data Discovery.
- ability to drill down to detailed information allowing them to discover root cause.
- ability to interact with data to look at different combination
- ability to tailor dashboards and reports to suit their needs without the aid of IT Dept
All these have resulted in greater leverage of IT in terms of the number of users supported by IT or the
number of users covered in a typical IT implementation.
The increasing penetration SAAS BI are due to a combination of
- Lower operating cost due to Cloud
- Today’s SAAS BI come pre-loaded with featured aimed at end users and delivering higher level of interaction with data
- The degree of flexibility enables the users to discover multi-dimensions with ease and without the support of IT.
- Many of the SAAS BI tools allow embedding of reports directly into ERP applications using API, making SAAS BI usage more seamless.
'Subbu' Balakrishnan | EPM and BI CoE
'Subbu' is a qualified Cost & Works Accountant, Company Secretary and Law Graduate, with more than 20 years experience in operations and IT.